Introducing the IBMR
With in-depth analyses of worldwide Christianity and mission-focused book reviews, the
International Bulletin of Mission Research is an unparalleled source of information on the world church in mission.
The International Bulletin of Missionary Research began its sixty-sixth year in January 2016 with a fresh design, a revised name, a new publishing and marketing partnership, and a different web address. Since the January 2016 issue, production and marketing of the IBMR has been handled for OMSC by SAGE Publications.
Readers see a slight change in the title of the IBMR, which now speaks of “mission” (not “missionary”) research. This change reflects the global shift in world Christianity, with the recognition that, for some readers, “missionary” can too easily bring to mind previous centuries of cross-cultural ministries in the context of colonialism.
The IBMR includes:
- Feature articles and book reviews written by leading specialists on Christian mission from around the world—scholars from varied academic disciplines and theological perspectives.
- The “Legacy” series with engaging accounts of pivotal mission leaders of the last two centuries and the equally engaging “My Pilgrimage in Mission” series that provides intimate insight into the lives of some of today’s most distinguished mission scholars and practitioners.
- Regional surveys and analyses of important mission documents and consultations.
- A “Noteworthy” news column that keeps you up to date on today’s mission leaders, conferences, and study opportunities.
- A listing of academic dissertations on mission and world Christianity. This dissertation list is kept up to date online in our “Researching World Christianity: Doctoral Dissertations on Mission Since 1900” database.
- The feature “Ten Outstanding Books for Mission Studies” appears each April.